Master in Publishing
LAST PLACES AVAILABLE FOR THE 2023 ADMISSION, REQUEST INFORMATION TO OUR ADVISOR
The Master in Publishing is a professionalizing program that has the unconditional support of the main institutions and companies in the sector. You will take a detailed tour of the operation of publishing and the publishing sector, and acquire practical and in-depth knowledge about the book industry.
Classes start: 25 September, 2024 (To be confirmed)
Classes end: 22 June, 2025 (To be confirmed)
Program ends: 10 July, 2025 (To be confirmed)
The Master in Publishing is a 100% professional course of recognized international prestige. It is the only master's degree in publishing considered by the Eduniversal Best Masters Ranking, where it appears at number 32 in the World Top 50 for cultural management/management of creative industries. It offers a detailed tour of the functioning of the publishing sector while presenting practical and in-depth knowledge about the publishing industry. It provides strategies necessary for the creation of a publishing company or project or for working in companies or institutions in the publishing world.
The program, taught by an exceptional teaching team made up solely of influential professionals from the publishing world, explores the different areas of the sector, going from the general to the specific: editorial lines (company creation, catalogue creation), negotiation and contracting (literary agencies, foreign rights departments), the operation of new startups (market place, app creation, communication), production in different media (paper, digital, audiobook, app, enriched pdf, etc.), distribution, promotion, and marketing.
Some 25 years after its foundation, the Master in Publishing maintains different collaboration agreements with the main institutions and companies in the publishing sector, especially in the city of Barcelona, which consolidates the national and international projection of the course and reinforces its highly professional and practice-oriented approach. Among the world top 35 masters in its field according to the leading ranking Eduniversal Best Masters, and the only Master in Publishing.
The Master in Publishing is endorsed by Pompeu Fabra University, the 1st Spanish university and the 15th best university in the world (of those with less than 50 years), according to the Times Higher Education ranking. In addition, UPF Barcelona School of Management has EQUIS accreditation, the most prestigious institutional recognition for business schools globally.
Why choose this program
Links with the main institutions and companies in the publishing world
Since its inception, the master has had collaboration agreements with the main institutions and companies in the publishing sector, which consolidates its national and international projection and reinforces its highly professional approach, focused on the needs of publishers.
Teaching team made up of active professionals from the publishing sector
Benefit from an exceptional teaching team made up of professionals who are in relevant positions within the publishing sector, mainly in Barcelona.
The benchmark Master's in the sector
After 25 years, some 800 professionals endorse its long history and solid reputation. Most of the alumni currently hold important positions in the publishing sector or have created companies that they have established in various countries.
A Master's in tune with publishing innovation
This master deals with publishing in a practical and constantly updated way. You will become familiar with cutting-edge and latest generation programs for publishing: tablets, audiobooks, PDAs, smartphones, apps, and e-readers, among others.
A complete immersion in the book industry
The Master's undertakes an intense practical analysis of all the trades connected to books.
Direct access to the profession
A large majority of the students carry out internships in the main companies and a high percentage of Alumni are today professionals of reference in the sector.
Study at a school accredited by EQUIS, an international distinction that guarantees the quality of our institution and makes us the 1st school of management linked to a public university with this accreditation in our country.
Who is it for?
The course is aimed at young graduates or graduates who want to enter the publishing sector with a solid base of knowledge and experience, young publishing professionals who want to consolidate their knowledge about the sector, as well as publishing professionals who want to systematize and update their skills in the publishing world.
25th anniversary of Master in Publishing
The program reaches its first quarter of a century after having promoted more than 50 companies in the book sector and having trained many professionals in the Spanish and Catalan publishing sector, as well as numerous professionals from Europe and around the world. To commemorate its anniversary, the master organized an institutional event on October 2021:
The Master in Publishing offers the following tools:
- MEDI Files
- Centro Internacional de Estudios del Libro de Barcelona
- The Master's in Publishing has created an English-Spanish Spanish-English Dictionary of Publishing in collaboration with Google
- MEDI News
The curriculum has been designed by a team of experts to provide you with a detailed tour of how the publishing industry works, while allowing you to gain in-depth, practical knowledge of it. Come and find out more.
- The legal framework and copyright
- Intellectual property law
- Negotiation of copyright
- Buying rights: parameters and strategies
- The publishing contract: clauses and conditions
- Transfer rights: primary, subsidiary, and other transfer modalities
- The contractual management of digital rights
- Literary agencies
- The agency as a company
- The figure of the literary agent
- The agency contract. The author's contract
- The sale of rights: negotiation and strategies
- Cultural differences in negotiation
- Contracting of rights and market
- The publishing project. Between company and culture
- From the catalogue to the collection and the singular book
- Criteria and practice of preselection and reading of originals
- The professional reader and reading reports: from literary to commercial evaluation
- Professional reading: criteria for editing
- Literary publishing. Fiction and non-fiction
- Commercial, mainstream and best seller publishing
- Children's and youth publishing
- Kiosk and packaging publishing
- Digital publishing and audiobooks (online and offline)
- Others: comic, bibliophile, commissions, etc.a
- Paper format
- Digital format, offline and online
- Audiobook format, offline and online
- The publishing calendar versus the natural calendar and the ephemeris
- The calendar at the service of the contractual and productive processes of the book
- Editing: objectives and techniques
- Editing criteria
- Orthographic correction. Correction techniques
- The composition of the text
- Review of pages and press proofs
- Drafting of back covers and flaps
- Bibliographic and typographic terminology
- Typographic design
- The letter: types and bodies
- Measurement of bodies. Typometry
- Design of the insides. Proportions
- The book as an aesthetic object
- The design of collections and image as a distinguishing feature of the company
- The cover
- The composition of the text: the mock-up
- Graphic design: basic InDesign skills
- Publishing outside the publisher: external trades (reading, proofreading, production, layout, and other freelance tasks)
- The paper production process. Direct printing
- Structure and materials of the book. The 'anatomy of the book': paper, colour chart, insides, sheets, covers
- Calculation of production costs: pricing
- The figure of the production manager
- Traditional printing (plates and photoliths)
- Digital printing
- Paper calculations. Runs, losses, and defects
- Types of binding and finishes
Digital publishing. Book 2.0, and digital technology and cybersecurity Google and publishing Media and reading modes
- Distributors, distribution networks, and logistics.
- Sales clearance
- The marketing plan: strategy and business plan
- Waterfall versus global launch
- The danger of the "bargain bin" effect
- Pricing policy
- Advertising and merchandising
Introduction to the economic management of the company. Specificities of the publishing company
Ideal balance sheet structure and equity analysis ratios: solvency, indebtedness, and capitalization
- Income, fixed and variable expenses, results and impact on the price of the book
- Reading and analysis of the operating account
The NAME also includes the possibility of participating in practical activities and activities for personal and professional growth such as:
- Compulsory Workshops: The Master's includes three compulsory workshops within the usual hours:
- Practical workshop on book anatomy, on its structure and materials, in which practical exercises and sample analysis are carried out
- Practical workshop on creating a publishing company
- Practical workshop on the functioning of literary agencies
- Editing workshop
- Optional workshops: Furthermore, the Master's also makes three other optional workshops available to participants, at a different time than usual:
- Practical workshop on spelling correction: 2 ECTS
- Practical graphic design workshop: InDesign: 2 ECTS
- Practical finance workshop for non-financial people: 2 ECTS
Total optional workshops: 6 ECTS
Despite being a basic training complement, attendance is not mandatory in this case, and a minimum quorum of 15 participants will be required for the sessions to take place.
- Round tables: Throughout the course, round tables can be offered with prestigious professionals.
- Visiting plan: Thanks to its collaboration with the Gremi d'Editors de Catalunya, the Master's in Publishing offers its students the possibility of attending The London Book Fair and the Frankfurter Buchmesse with the same conditions and bonuses as member editors, provided that travel restrictions and corresponding authorities allow it. The visit is carried out under the guidance of a prestigious professional from the sector.
The Master's programs a compulsory guided visit to the INDEX printing press.
In any case, these trips will take place in a different time slot than usual to adapt to business hours.
- UPF-BSM Inside: is a group of interdisciplinary subjects (applied data, communication, creativity, innovation and project management, sustainability and leadership among others) that, if you take this program, you can access at no additional cost. They are 100% online and you can take them throughout the academic year at your own pace, as they have been designed as self-study subjects.
- International mobility: The UPF Barcelona School of Management offers you the possibility of expanding your training and international vision through the International Mobility Programme. Extend your studies extracurricularly, during the academic year following the completion of your Master's, at a top-level institution. Limited places.
The Master is conducted in Spanish and Catalan. Some sessions may be given in English.
20th anniversary MEDI
MEDI and the Frankfurt Book Fair
MEDI at Cayfosa printing company
MEDI always tuned
MEDI at Índice printing company
Once you have passed the program, you will obtain an electronic degree (e-Título) for the Lifelong Learning Máster de Formación Permanente en Edición issued by the Pompeu Fabra University
The e-Título is an authentic digital degree, issued in pdf format and electronically signed, with the same legal validity as if it were in paper format.
The teaching staff of the Master in Publishing is made up of active professionals from the publishing sector with long experience. Their vision of the subjects is eminently practical and is adapted to innovations in the publishing sector.
Full Professor UPF
Full Professor UPF
Associate Professor UPF-BSM
The Master in Publishing offers a detailed tour of the book publication chain through practical classes, specialization workshops, and the development of the Master's Final Project.
Throughout the course, the program covers the different areas of the publishing sector, both the most general and the most specific areas, providing the necessary strategies to create a company or your own publishing project.
Book icons on MEDI
MEDI leads Forum Edita
MEDI and the publishing business
Learn with professionals in the publishing sector
Our teaching team is made up of professionals from the sector who transmit to the participants knowledge acquired over years of experience in the publishing world.
Professional focus of the course
The sessions combine the necessary theoretical knowledge typical of a university with an eminently practical approach that allows to show in depth the challenges and difficulties that publishing professionals face on a daily basis.
The Master's Final Project connects theory with practice
The Master's Final Project that is developed throughout the course responds to a professional challenge linked to the reality of the publishing world. With the help of a mentor, the student will link what they have learned in class with the professional practice of publishing.
Barcelona, international capital of publishing in Spanish and Catalan
The student will live and work in Barcelona, where they can enjoy all the resources that the master's degree and the city make available to them to learn and be part of the nerve centre of publishing in the Spanish and Catalan languages.
Thanks to the close collaboration of CEDRO, the Master in Publishing offers 3 awards to the best publishing projects of each course.
The Master in Publishing applies a continuous evaluation system through the exercises and exams corresponding to each subject, the development of the Master's Final Project, and other factors such as attendance and contribution in the classroom.
To obtain the corresponding qualification, it is essential to pass the Master's Final Project, attend classes regularly (a minimum of 80%) and pass the practical exercises and compulsory work, whose delivery conditions and preparation is indicated by the professionals who commission them, in each case.
Project-oriented learning and the combination of lectures and active methodologies such as case studies, flipped learning, solving real problems and professional simulations allow the student to connect theory and practice, acquire advanced skills and achieve learning which is transferable to work.
You will have:
- Master's Final Project (TFM) or Postgrad Final Project (TFP)
- A personal mentor to monitor your final project (TFM or TFP)
- Digital resources to achieve transversal skills
- Interdisciplinary activities and workshops
In the Master in Publishing you will share a classroom in Barcelona with students from different national and international backgrounds, which will allow you to grow not only academically, but also culturally and personally.
The participants of the master come from various academic and business areas. This contributes to creating a multidisciplinary and collaborative spirit in the classroom, which is enriching for everyone.
The Master in Publishing brings together students from all over the world with a very heterogeneous profile in which three large groups stand out: recent graduates in Humanities or Social Sciences who aim to make the leap from the university to the professional world and enter the publishing sector; young people who are already working as professionals in the publishing sector and who want to advance in their professional career, and independent professionals or professionals with accredited experience in the publishing sector who want to expand their knowledge to start and create their own publishing company or literary agency.
Previous studies in Letters (Humanities, Applied Languages, Philosophy, etc.)
Previous studies in Journalism and Communication
Previous studies in Law
In the more than 20 years of the master's, two out of every five of our students develop a prestigious professional career in publishing companies of the highest international level. Their presence in positions of high responsibility in large corporations is numerous and recognized.
One in 10 students creates their own company in the publishing sector.
The network of Alumni of the master's is extensive and international and encourages meetings and professional exchanges between former students of the master's degree.
- Publisher in a publishing company
- Create your own publishing company
- Literary agent
- Marketing in Publishing
Admission and enrolment
Our admission process consists of a rigorous evaluation of each application to preserve the quality of the group as well as the training, experience, and work capacity of all students.
Who can apply?
Higher university graduates or higher graduates.
Those participants who do not have Spanish as one of their mother tongues or who did not have it as a teaching language in their training studies, must prove that they have at least a B2 level of Spanish (Common European Framework of Reference), as well as fluently take part in a personal interview with the academic director, if necessary.
How to apply?
To apply for admission to this program, students must read and accept the Terms and Conditions of Contract once they start the application for admission through the following form.
Application for admission
Complete your application within the next admission rounds:
|Round||Application deadline||Admission resolution|
Applications for admission will be evaluated when you complete the following steps:
- Complete the online admission form.
- Pay the €120 admission fee. This amount will be returned if you are not admitted.
- Send the following documents through the online platform e-registrar:
- Presentation letter
- Scanned copy of university degree (if you are in the last year of your degree, you can provide your academic records)
- Scanned copy of Transcript of Records. Make sure that it includes your GPA (Grade Point Average)
- Scanned copy of ID Card or Passport
- Passport-size photo (jpg format)
Additional documents may be requested in certain cases.
Application rounds are subject to the number of places available on the program.
- The Admissions Committee will select the candidates on the basis of a personal or CV-based interview.
- You will be notified of the admission decision in writing.
- Registration must be paid within a 15 days after the admission.
- Once the letter of acceptance to the program has been received, you will need to submit the following original documents before the course begins:
- Stamped and/or authenticated photocopy of your university degree.
- If you have a foreign degree you may need to submit additional documents.
- Paying the reservation fee (25% of the program's tuition fees) is essential in order to reserve your place
- If you pay the tuition fees by bank transfer you will be required to introduce the program code. The program code for this course is 1045.
- The remaining tuition fees must be paid 2 weeks before the start of the course.
Grants, scholarships and financing
The UPF Barcelona School of Management offers you different means of financing so that you can take any of our programs without worry. We offer you the opportunity to finance part of your program, either by rewarding your talent through scholarships, through grants from entities dedicated to promoting education or through collaboration agreements with financial entities.
Grants and discounts
You can choose how to finance your studies by consulting our simulator and receive an answer in less than 24 hours.
Master in Publishing