Master in Professional Legal Practice + Master's in Economic Criminal Law and Compliance
Train yourself to successfully pass the entrance exam to the legal profession with the master's that has the highest pass rate at the state level. Take it along with the Master in Economic Criminal Law and Compliance, two sectors of criminal law that have experienced a spectacular boom in recent years.
Classes start: 18 September, 2023
Classes end: 01 March, 2025 (To be confirmed)
Program ends: 30 March, 2025 (To be confirmed)
*Important: The University Master's in Advocacy is in the process of being transformed into the University Master's in Advocacy and Procuring. The new program will begin in September 2023 and enrollment will open in January 2023. The programme will be taught in 3 languages: Spanish, Catalan and English. 3 groups will be created, 2 of which will be taught in Catalan, Spanish and English, and 1 in Spanish and English.
The double Master in Professional Legal Practice + Master in Economic Criminal Law and Compliance offers you an unmatched professional comparative advantage. In addition to studying the Master's Degree in Professional Legal Practice, a reference program in the training of lawyers in Spain with the highest pass rate at the state level, it allows you to specialize in one of the areas of law which is most in-demand professionally, economic criminal law and compliance, by dedicating a few more months to your studies.
The program is endorsed by Pompeu Fabra University, the 1st Spanish university and the 15th best university in the world (of those with less than 50 years), according to the Times Higher Education ranking. In addition, UPF Barcelona School of Management has EQUIS accreditation, the most prestigious institutional recognition for business schools globally.
During the first academic year, the Master's in Professional Legal Practice trains you in the central areas of litigation, professional ethics, and business legal advice, and specializes in specific professional matters such as bankruptcy, damages, intellectual property and competition, the environment, real estate and urban planning, crimes against public finances and corporate crimes, among others.
The Master's in Professional Legal Practice is a unique project that brings together university, professional, public, and private institutions, with a common objective: to provide law graduates with excellent training that, in the current legal framework of the legal system, allows them not only to pass the official exam in the future, but, above all, face their professional career as lawyers in the field of economic criminal law and compliance with the maximum guarantees of success.
Subsequently, the Master in Economic Criminal Law and Compliance trains you both in the general issues common to economic crimes, such as corporate crimes or crimes against public finances, as well as in the study of specific types. Likewise, the compliance training is exhaustive and ranges from its basic theoretical notions to the most advanced practical developments in crime prevention models and corporate compliance culture.
The extraordinary presence and growing complexity of economic criminal law in criminal legislation and therefore in the practice of our courts, as well as the importance of the phenomenon of regulatory compliance in companies to avoid or minimize their possible criminal liability, justify the need for specialized training in professionals in the criminal field who wish to successfully face the challenges that are already arising in economic criminal law and compliance.
Program jointly offered with:
Why choose this program
Receive a quality curriculum
Its contents have been prepared by the UPF Law Department and Faculty, by the Barcelona Bar Association and by six of the most prestigious law firms and lawyers offices in the city of Barcelona: Cuatrecasas, Garrigues, Roca Junyent, Uría Menéndez, Baker & McKenzie, KPMG, and RCD.
Gain a double degree
By dedicating a few more months of study, you will receive a double master's degree: the Official Master's in Professional Legal Practice, issued by Pompeu Fabra University (90 ECTS credits) and the Master's in Economic Criminal Law and Compliance, issued by the Pompeu Fabra University (60 ECTS credits).
Put your knowledge into practice
The program deals with the legal profession in a practical way, with the realization of practical exercises, intervention in debates and judicial simulations of the specialization in criminal law and of compliance.
Access an excellent internship program
The master's provides access to an internship program not only in law firms but also in companies and in public and justice administration. In addition, by taking the double master's degree, we guarantee that you will be able to do the internships in the area of specialization you have chosen.
Highest pass rate at the state level
99% of the students of the Master's in Professional Legal Practice at the UPF Barcelona School of Management who took the official exam for access to the profession between 2016 and 2019, passed.
Study at a school accredited by EQUIS, international distinction that guarantees the quality of our institution and makes us the 1st school of management linked to a public university with this accreditation in our country.
Who is it for?
The master's is aimed at recent graduates in Law, mainly from UPF, with the best academic profiles. It is also aimed at those graduates from other Spanish universities with very good academic records and/or who come from double degrees (Business Administration + Law, Law + Criminology, etc.). In the case of international students, for administrative reasons, students must submit validation of their previous studies, which can be long and complex.
The Master in Professional Legal Practice + Master's in Economic Criminal Law and Compliance will be taught in 3 languages: Spanish, Catalan and English. Three groups will be created, two of which will be taught in Catalan, Spanish and English, and one in Spanish and English.
The double master's degree is structured in a block of compulsory contents necessary for obtaining the double degree with the specialization in Economic Criminal Law and Compliance and the completion of optional subjects, Master's Final Project, and mandatory internship period.
Master's Final Project
The Master in Professional Legal Practice + Master's in Economic Criminal Law and Compliance also includes the possibility of participating in practical activities and activities for personal and professional growth such as:
- attendance at trials and custody of detainees
- trial simulations
- workshops organized by collaborating companies and firms
- specific training in public speaking and legal English
- UPF-BSM Inside: is a group of interdisciplinary subjects (applied data, communication, creativity, innovation and project management, sustainability and leadership among others) that, if you take this program, you can access at no additional cost. They are 100% online and you can take them throughout the academic year at your own pace, as they have been designed as self-study subjects.
3 groups will be created: two whose teaching languages will be Catalan, Spanish and English, and one in Spanish and English.
Once students have completed both programs they will obtain the Máster Universitario en Abogacía official Master's Degree (90 ECTS), issued by the Pompeu Fabra University and the electronic degree (e-Título) for Máster de Formación Permanente en Derecho Penal Económico y Compliance (60 ECTS) issued by Pompeu Fabra University.
Issuance of official Master's Degrees: The amount stipulated in the DOGC (Official Gazette of the Government of Catalonia) must be paid for the rights to issue the degree. This rate varies annually and the rate in force at the time of application for the degree will be applied.
The e-Título is an authentic digital degree, issued in pdf format and electronically signed, with the same legal validity as if it were in paper format.
The Master in Professional Legal Practice + Master in Economic Criminal Law and Compliance has a teaching staff made up of academics and professionals who are experts in each of the subjects that make up the program's study plan.
Full professor UPF
The course combines theory and practice with a very participatory method. The teaching objective, regarding the specialization of economic criminal law and compliance, is to study in depth both the conceptual and methodological frameworks, in order to understand and analyse the new Economic Criminal Law and particularly the phenomenon of criminal Compliance, which currently has extraordinary relevance in the world of law.
Appropriate content for the official exam
The compulsory subjects are intended to guarantee adequate preparation for the official exam and, on the other hand, complete the compulsory content to obtain the specialization degree in Economic Criminal Law and Compliance, thus placing the student in the best conditions to start their professional career as a lawyer.
These make up the main content block of the program. From problems posed by real cases, the students will be able to apply procedural and substantive law, internal and community law to their resolution. The writing of legal documents (demands, complaints, appeals) and their oral defence (simulations of trials and oral hearings) play an essential role in these subjects.
Other essential content
Essential content for the exercise of the legal profession are studied, such as deontology, negotiation, and the organization of the office, which will play a fundamental role in the subsequent official examination.
Tutoring and monitoring
Throughout the program, the academic management team will monitor the student to offer support and ensure their proper progress.
The master will organize during the school period a series of voluntary extracurricular activities: attendance at trials and custody of detainees, trial simulations, workshops organized by collaborating companies and firms, specific training (such as public speaking and legal English), etc.
To obtain the corresponding qualification, it is essential to pass all the subjects, the evaluation of which will depend on the corresponding teacher and which may consist of a continuous evaluation, completion of a task/exercise or a final exam. The Master's Final Project must also be passed, there must be regular attendance in class (a minimum of 80%), and practical exercises and compulsory work must be carried out and delivered to the professionals who commission them and who will mark them in each case.
Project-oriented learning and the combination of lectures and active methodologies such as case studies, flipped learning, solving real problems and professional simulations allow the student to connect theory and practice, acquire advanced skills and achieve learning which is transferable to work.
You will have:
- Master's Final Project (TFM) or Postgrad Final Project (TFP)
- A personal mentor to monitor your final project (TFM or TFP)
- Digital resources to achieve transversal skills
- Interdisciplinary activities and workshops
The Double Master in Professional Legal Practice + Economic Criminal Law and Compliance is aimed at Law graduates with a good academic record who wish to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for the professional practice of law and who, in addition, want to pursue a specialization in the area of Economic Criminal Law and Compliance. For students of the double master's, the internships (whether in law firms/companies or public institutions) are intended to be related to the area of specialization.
Every year, the program brings together recent law graduates, mainly from the city of Barcelona. There is therefore a junior profile, with previous experience acquired in the professional internships carried out during the Degree in Law.
To pass the program, each student must complete a curricular internship with a value of 30 ECTS credits. The internships will be full-time and will take place between June and November in the law firms, companies and institutions that collaborate with the program. The stay will be tutored by an experienced lawyer with the supervision of a team of tutors and will have the aim of enabling the student to:
- Face professional deontological problems.
- Become familiar with the functioning and problems of institutions related to the practice of the legal profession.
- Know the activity of other legal operators, as well as professionals related to the exercise of the profession.
- Receive updated information on the development of professional careers and the possible lines of activity, as well as on the instruments to manage them.
- In general, develop the skills and abilities necessary to practice the legal profession.
The Master in Professional Legal Practice + Economic Criminal Law and Compliance aims to provide law graduates with excellent training that, in the current legal framework, allows them not only to pass the future official exam, but, above all, to start their professional career as lawyers and experts in the field of Economic Criminal Law and Compliance with the maximum chances of success.
Admission and enrolment
Our admission process consists of a rigorous evaluation of each application to preserve the quality of the group as well as the training, experience, and work capacity of all students.
Who can apply?
In addition to meeting the general access requirements established in current regulations, in order to be admitted to the official Master's Program, the following specific admission requirements are required by Article 2 of Law 34/2006 and Articles 2 and 3 of the Regulation that develops it (Royal Decree 775/2011, of 3 June), for all the programs that enable access to said profession. Said requirements are as follows:
- To be in possession of a qualification of Law Degree, Law Graduate or other equivalent university degree that meets the requirements established in the following section.
- University degrees that certify the acquisition of the following legal skills:
- Know and understand the elements, structure, resources, interpretation, and application of the legal system and interpret the sources and fundamental legal concepts of each of the different legal orders.
- Know and understand the mechanisms and procedures for the resolution of legal conflicts, as well as the legal position of people in their relations with the Administration and in general with public powers.
- Know and know how to apply the criteria of priority of the sources to determine the applicable norms in each case, and especially that of conformity with constitutional rules, principles, and values.
- Interpret legal texts from an interdisciplinary perspective using legal principles and social, ethical, and deontological values and principles as analysis tools.
- Pronounce with a convincing legal argument on a theoretical question related to various legal matters.
- Resolve practical cases in accordance with current positive law, which implies the prior preparation of material, the identification of problematic issues, the selection and interpretation of the applicable positive law data, and the argumentative statement of the subsumption.
- Handle with skill and precision the legal language and the terminology of the different branches of law: Draft legal documents in an orderly and understandable way. Communicate legal ideas, arguments, and reasoning orally and in writing, using the appropriate records in each context.
- Use information and communication technologies to search for and obtain legal information (databases of legislation, jurisprudence, bibliography, etc.), as well as work and communication tools.
Those participants who do not have Spanish as one of their mother tongues or who did not have it as a teaching language in their training studies, must prove that they have at least a B2 level of Spanish (Common European Framework of Reference), as well as fluently take part in a personal interview with the academic director, if necessary.
Students with degrees obtained abroad:
Participants with degrees obtained abroad (either in the European Economic Area or outside of it) who want to attend the professional aptitude evaluation test for the exercise of the profession of Lawyer once the master has successfully been passed, must be in possession of the credential of ratification of their foreign degree in Law on the date of admission to the master (see in this regard the Informative Note regarding the regime applicable to degrees obtained abroad to obtain the professional title of lawyer or attorney of Courts issued by the Ministry of Justice on 27 July 2016).
There are also procedures for validation of the degree or admission to the University of students with university studies initiated to comply with this requirement demanded by the regulations that regulate the evaluation test to obtain the professional title of lawyer or attorney of the Courts.
Mandatory documentation* to submit with the application for admission (digital format):
- Presentation letter or video;
- Updated Curriculum Vitae;
- Simple copy in digital format of the updated academic record with all the grades of the subjects taken for the degree. Files will only be accepted that show, as a minimum, the grades obtained up to the first quarter or semester included, the number of pending ECTS credits and the average mark (scale 1-10); Final year students who can prove that they are on Erasmus must submit a file that includes at least the marks of the first three years of the Degree.
- Simple copy in digital format of the title associated with the academic record submitted. If you do not yet have it, you must send it to us before the start date of the program. Otherwise, admission will be cancelled and you will not be able to start the program.
- If you are a student with a degree obtained abroad (either in the European Economic Area or outside it) and you want to be able to attend the evaluation test to obtain the professional title of lawyer or court attorney, you must also provide the ratification credential of your degree.
- Scanned copy of the ID or passport;
- Passport size photograph (jpg format);
* If necessary, additional information may be requested.
Documentation to be assessed:
- Certificate of level B2 in English or other languages (only certificates issued by recognized bodies will be recognized).
- Certification of other undergraduate studies obtained or in progress (registration form or academic record).
How to apply?
To apply for admission to this program, students must read and accept the Terms and Conditions of Contract once they start the application for admission through its form.
Application for admission
We will open the admission form for the third admission's round on April 11th, 2023. The dates of the admission periods are detailed below:
|Rounds||Application deadline||Apply resolution||Reservation fee payment (25%)|
|1||27/01/2023||Week of 13/02/2023||27/02/2023|
|2||06/03/2023||Week of 27/03/2023||10/04/2023|
|3||24/04/2023||Week of 15/5/2023||29/05/2023|
- Complete the online admission form.
- Make a €120 advance registration fee payment. This sum will be refunded if the applicant is not accepted but will not be refunded if the admission process is abandoned.
- In order to complete your application we would ask you to send us the aforementioned documents in order to evaluate your profile and suitability of the programme. This documentation will be presented via a specific platform to which you will be given access.
Applications for admission will be assessed following the admission period schedule, the final decision for the application for admission will be sent by email.
Once the programme acceptance letter has been received, and before beginning your academic activity, you will be required to present the following original documentation:
- Certified copy of university degree
- Certified copy of official academic transcript
If you have a foreign qualification, consult the documentation to be presented here.
In order to guarantee your place you must make payment of the reservation fee on the given date and complete formal registration.
If you choose the option to pay by bank transfer we will ask you to enter the program code. For this program, the code is
Grants, scholarships and financing
The UPF Barcelona School of Management offers you different means of financing so that you can take any of our programs without worry. We offer you the opportunity to finance part of your program, either by rewarding your talent through scholarships, through grants from entities dedicated to promoting education or through collaboration agreements with financial entities.
Grants and discounts
You can choose how to finance your studies by consulting our simulator and receive an answer in less than 24 hours.
Master in Professional Legal Practice + Master's in Economic Criminal Law and Compliance