The Master in Terminology is a module-based further education programme with a professional focus, which also prepares participants to go into research in this field. The programme is taught exclusively online.
Terminology is a fundamental tool for translation, technical writing, scientific dissemination, documentation, industrial standardisation, linguistic planning, lexicography, teaching for specific purposes and linguistic mediation in general.
EUROPEAN CERTIFICATE FOR TERMINOLOGY MANAGERS (Basic)
Students on the Master in Terminology programme will be able to sit an online exam allowing them to gain the European Certificate for Terminology Managers (Basic), awarded by the European Certification and Qualification Association (ECQA). Those students who are fully enrolled on the Master's programme for the current 2013-2015 academic year will be exempt from paying the registration fee for the ECQA exam.
• To introduce students to understanding terminology as a field of theoretical and applied knowledge.
• To present its basic aspects in the context of communication and specialized discourse and knowledge.
• To provide the initial elements for elaborating specialized dictionaries.
• To gain an overview of terminology, basically focused on the different professional fields that are associated with it.
• To go deeper into the interdisciplinary basics of terminology.
• To examine in detail the relationship between terminology and documentation, translation, lexicography, linguistic standardisation, language teaching and linguistic engineering.
• To integrate the essential knowledge for becoming qualified terminology professionals or participating in other professional activities where terminological
or terminographic knowledge is required.
• To examine in depth the knowledge and skills acquired in the previous levels, so that students may gain solid training that will allow them to work on their own initiative and independently and manage terminological projects.
The specific objectives of the various methodological workshops that are offered correspond with the acquisition of competences and skills in particular phases of terminological activity:
• Compiling and editing terminographic resources, from setting up and using specialized textual corpora to managing terminological data banks and
editing dictionaries, wordlists, glossaries, etc.
• Resolving specific problems that systematically arise in identifying terminological units, in terminological management for various purposes and in compiling resources.
• Learning about different strategies and practising with technological tools for using corpora in terminological work.
• Learning about and/or extending the possibilities of terminological management in the area of translation memories (computer-assisted translation).
• Creating terminology banks. Exploring strategies for importing and exporting terminological data between different management systems.
• Examining in greater depth the processes for creating terminological units and practising with case studies for appropriate neologism creation.
The programme is structured into the following modules:
Postgraduate course in Foundations of Terminology
(15 ECTS credits) (compulsory)
Postgraduate programme in Terminology and Professional Needs (30 ECTS credits) (compulsory)
Methodology for Terminology Work (10 ECTS credits) (compulsory)
Master's dissertation (10 ECTS credits) (compulsory)
Methodological optional workshops as supplementary training. To be chosen from among those available:
• Problems in Terminology Work (5 ECTS credits)
• Terminology Management in Translation Memories (5 ECTS credits)
• Neology (5 ECTS credits)
The content of the module-based courses and workshops is updated regularly.
Online, including assessment.