Master in Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Translation
October 2015-June 2016, Barcelona
- Starting date:
6 October 2015
- Finishing date:
23 June 2016
- Class times:
Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 18.00 to 22.00 h. Occasionally some Mondays and Fridays.
- Program type: Master's Degree
- ECTS: 60
- Modality: On-Campus
- Tuition fees: 7.950,00 €
The Master in Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Translation, the only program of its kind in this field, prepares translators specialized
in medical and pharmaceutical literature. Two sectors in which there is a great deal of work and demand.
Both the biomedical and pharmaceutical fields generate large volumes of work. This program provides the translation techniques necessary
to perform translations under the highest academic and professional standards. It is intended for individuals with a scientific background (medicine,
nursing, biology, veterinary medicine, pharmacy, chemistry, physics...) who wish to capitalize on their knowledge of languages, as well as translation
and language experts (translators, philologists, journalists...) looking to become more professional in a field with future growth potential. Technical
translation training for highly-specialized professionals.
This program is taught by a high-level teaching staff renowned throughout Spain and Latin America and offers students the opportunity to intern at
both translation agencies and biomedical and pharmaceutical companies and organizations.
Why this program?
- Because it takes a practical approach to translation: you will learn the terminology of biomedicine, pharmacy, nursing, public health and veterinary
medicine and the different types of texts encountered in medical and pharmaceutical literature.
- Because you will learn to use computer assisted technology
and automatic translation tools (CAT tools), as well as applied translation technologies: specialised search engines and databases, research tools, etc.
- Because you will be trained in the legal and labour aspects of working as a freelance translator: how to issue invoices, declare taxes, what legal
framework you need to follow with regard to International Property Rights, how to use the 2.0 tools of the sector to promote yourself, etc.
you will have the opportunity to intern at translation agencies and biomedical and pharmaceutical companies and organizations. In previous years our
students have interned at Idisc Information Technologies, Institut d'Estudis Catalans, Intertext Traducción y Documentación Multilingüe, Nueva Traductores
e Intérpretes, Pharmalexic, etc.
- Because you will be in class with professionals in the biomedical and scientific sector (doctors, biologists, chemists,
etc.) as well as translators. This leads to a mutual exchange of ideas and knowledge in different yet complementary sectors.
• To professionalize experts in the translation of biomedical and
• To acquire in-depth knowledge of the vocabulary and terminology used in the field of biomedicine: medicine, pharmacy,
nursing, public health, veterinary medicine, etc.
• To master the use of computer-assisted translation tools.
• To learn how to identify and utilize suitable documentary sources
on biomedicine, pharmacy and all other disciplines.
University graduates holding a Bachelor's Degree or a degree endorsed by UPF. A bachelor's degree or other similar degrees from domestic or foreign universities.
This includes degree courses in translation or language and communication (translation, philology, journalism, etc.), degree courses in biomedicine (medicine,
nursing, veterinary medicine, biology, psychology, biotechnology, etc.) and general scientific or technical degree courses (chemistry, physics, engineering,
etc.). Certification or, in the absence of an appropriate certificate, a test accrediting a high level of English (B2).